In no particular order, here are our top 5 flat pedals.
Our choice is based on price and value, grip, looks and durability – for enduro style riding.
In the interests of sanity, these carry a max price point of £100 cos anything over that is completely unnecessary.
No composite pedals allowed, so just proper hard metal pedals for this review.
1. Shimano gr500
Available for £32 from CRC
Previously known as Shimano Saint Flats, these dependable and slim pedals from Shimano offer amazing value with fantastic grip, durability and looks.
At £32 these are by-far the cheapest pedals in this list.
Easy to service with a removable axle and easy to access bearings. 3 Pin lengths for adjustable grip.
The reviewer has spent 2 seasons on this pedal and nothing comes close with the value for money. Make sure you get your pins set up correctly (pins on the outside, longest setting, no pins on the center of the pedal) and they will provide fantastic grip on even flat sole trainers (Vans waffle sole, Adidas flat sole etc…).
Weight is 535g per pair – the heaviest on this review, but reassuringly robust.
- Unique shape with concave platform for better control and efficiency
- Extra-wide and especially low profile
- 3 different pin height settings to match different styles of riding
- Replaceable pins, screwed in from the back for easy maintenance
- Extra strong axle
2. DMR V12 Magnesium
Currently Only £40.99 (RRP £75) at Chain Reaction Cycles
The DMR V12 flat pedals have firmly established themselves as the original flat pedal design that has survived the test of time. DMR has now redesigned its best selling platform to be larger for increased foot stability, but slimmer to reduce the weight and ensure better ground clearance. This has been achieved without any compromise on strength or durability, making these pedals the ideal choice for aggressive all-mountain, enduro and downhill riders.
- Material: Magnesium body, CrMo (cromoly) axle
- Axle Size: Standard 9/16″ thread
- Bearing Type: Fully sealed bearings
- Dimensions: 95x100mm (width x length), 16mm depth
- Larger Platform Area: 10% more surface area than the classic shape
- Lower Profile: At just 16mm deep, these pedals are as slim as possible whilst still retaining DMR’s legendary concave feel
- Lighter Weight: 20% weight saving from the previous model
- All pins on the pedal are replaceable and tunable for preferred grip
- Replacement Pins Included: No
- Weight: 350g per pair
3. Nukeproof Horizon Pro DH Flats
Currently on sale at Only £63.99
Designed for DH, but utalized for Enduro, these are the pedal of choice for ultimate grip and durability. They will withstand some proper hard rock strikes and landings. For this reason we find them a fantastic pedal option.
137 5 Star Reviews shows just how much this pedal is loved!
Designed in collaboration with 5-time downhill world champion and three-time Enduro World Series Champion Sam Hill, Nukeproof brings you its Horizon Pro Flat Pedals. Precisely engineered, they give you the ideal balance of fatigue resistance and strength with a minimum weight penalty. These flat mountain bike pedals have a large platform with adjustable pins and angled edges to aid deflection from rock or root strikes.
Prolonged Pedal Life
The Horizon Pro has all the features found on the Horizon Sam Hill. Each pedal body spins on high-quality DU bushings with 2 sealed cartridge bearings to help spread the stress loads from heavy impacts. Meanwhile, a lip seal between the axle end and pedal body helps to reduce ingress of water and dirt prolonging pedal life between services.
- Material: Forged 6061-T6 Alloy body with CNC finishing
- Axle: Cro-Mo, standard 9/16″ thread
- 2 x high quality DU bushings & 4 x sealed cartridge bearings (Per Pair)
- Adjustable pin heights
- Weight: 430g
4. OneUp Components Alu MTB Pedals
£89 at CRC
Extremely lightweight and extremely grippy. The OneUp pedals ae a slightyl leftfield choice but a firm favorite with both trail riders and enduro riders.
Thye feature a large platform with plenty of pins. The cartridge bearings are a massive upgrade to the DU bushes that many cheaper pedals feature. They come in 7 colourways to match your bike and the bearings don’t allow the pedals to freely spin – great for when your feet come off!
The OneUp Components Flat MTB pedals feature a tough 6061-T6 aluminium construction and a super-wide platform for increased foot stability over the most challenging terrain. They also have a tough CrMo axle to stand up to you landing the biggest jumps and drops. There’s 10 pins on either side for ultimate grip and the pedal’s thin leading edges are tapered to deflect strikes on rocks and tree roots. Fully sealed beatings ensure smooth operation that lasts.
- Body Material: 6061-T6 Aluminium
- Axle Material: CrMo
- Platform Size: 115x105mm
- Pins: 10 per side
- Height: 8.3-12mm
- Pin To Axle Distance: 112mm
- Contoured shape
- 4 fully sealed bearings
- Serviceable design with built in bearing extractor
- Unique cassette tool lock ring
- Weight: 355g
5. Brendog Signature Pedals DMR Vault V2
Brendan Fairclough the original flat pedal style for miles rider on the UCI DH circuit. These are his signature pedals and if they are good enough for brendog then they are good enough for you! Gippy as fuck when paired with 510 pedals – no finer or more stylish pedals are available!
We absolutely love these!
The Vault V2 Brendog Signature Pedals are the result of a collaboration with DMR and Brendan “Brendog” Fairclough, one of the most stylish downhill riders on the scene. They offer the same high-quality construction as the standard Vault V2 model, such as the 6061 alloy body and C4130 CrMo Axle but boast a unique colour scheme and Brendog’s decals and signatures.
Wide and Flat Pedals with Reversable Pins
These pedals are ready to take on the biggest jumps and you can be certain that they’ll withstand the landing. They also offer excellent grip, foot stability and clearance, thanks to the 11 pins per pedal, concave-shaped foot bed and thin 17mm profile.
- Material: Body: Extruded 6061 Aluminium; Axles: 4140 CrMo Steel
- Size: 105x105mm with 17mm concave foot bed
- Tuneable: 11 ‘flipPin’ per pedal can be fitted ‘short’ or ‘long’ to fine tune the grip available
- Serviceable: High load DU bush and cartridge bearing
- Weight: 430g (Pair)
Buy DMR Components from Chain Reaction Cycles, the World’s Largest Online Bike Store.